Despite the big interest for the BIG ONE For ONE DROP event, the WSOP is not considering to remove the 48-player cap. Players have had plenty of time to sign up, and rules should not be changed, the WSOP says.
The planned 48-player cap for the $1 million BIG ONE For ONE DROP event will stay put, directors of the World Series of Poker have told Pokerstrategy.com
The record event was introduced by poker-playing billionaire Guy Laliberté, and has so far been remarkably popular with players.
In spite of an all-time high $1 million buy-in, the world's best players have been queuing up to register for the event, leading to speculation that the WSOP might remove the 48-player limit and allow even more pros to sign up.
In a new interview today, however, WSOP communications manager Seth Palansky denied any such plans on behalf of the WSOP.
"The cap is not increasing," the WSOP official said.
"Players have entered this event under the knowledge that there is a cap. We already have four or five players in the process of completing the registration process with us so if they do, we'll be very close."
Palansky also denied allegations that not removing the cap would be met by criticism from the players. Sticking to the outlined rules and putting up an event consistent with what has been advertised is more important, he said.
"People have been able to register for this event since June 1, 2011 - over a year. We have been thoughtful, methodical and consistent with our rules for this event since the beginning."
Making sure that the BIG ONE For ONE DROP runs smoothly will be of the highest priority for the WSOP given the tournament's status as the biggest ever to be hosted in an official live setting.
The bracelet event has rallied players from all over the world to Las Vegas and will see several superstars like Phil Ivey
, Gus Hansen
, Erik Seidel, Daniel Negreanu
and Phil Hellmuth
make their way to Las Vegas once the event kicks off on July 1.