Just some thoughts
I am not a pro but I am pretty good at poker as a game. That means, if I knew how to manage my money I could be rich. But usually I go broke after I play higher limit cash games thinking to build up my bankroll faster. I decided to share some helpful (or useless for some people) ideas about poker from my own experience. Hope to make it as short as possible.
1. As it's been said, Money management plays a tremendous role in our lives. Not only in poker players' lives. We all gotta pay bills, pay for gas, buy food and so on. But it plays even bigger role in poker players' lives. Please, do not repeat my mistake and do not play limits you can't afford.
2. Find your game and improve. Decide, what game you play best. Whether it is Sng, MTT or cash, just figure out what you do best and start improving. There's a lot of free resources. Even youtube can help you.
3. Do not make big bluffs. Big bets usually look like a bluff. Better players know it. Small or medium sizes bets can look like a value-bet. Just think about it.
4. Play position. BB position can really help you when everyone folded after the raise from the button and you are first to act. You can aggressively play your dro or second/bottom pair. Once again, better players know that raise from first to act can mean some big hands.
5. Set a goal/goals. Just sit down and think what do you want from poker. What limits you want to play. When do you want this to happen. Be realistic. Do it step by step.
Hope it can help anyone. If not, at least I started by managing my thoughts :)