PokerStars has announced that its Brazilian Series of Poker (BSOP) Millions, Brazil’s largest live poker festival, will return this November. The 2021 BSOP Millions is scheduled to run from November 24 through December 15. The series will be held at São Paulo’s WTC Sheraton Hall.
As with most other major live poker series around the globe, the BSOP Millions saw its 2020 edition cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The series’ return in November includes a full 50-event slate, though pandemic-related precautions and safety measures will still be in place.
The 2021 BSOP Millions will guarantee at least R$ 15,000,000 (roughly US$ 2.8M) over its 12-day run. The series concludes with its R$ 3,500 main event, which guarantees R$ 7,000,000 (over US$ 1.3M) to its winner. Antonio Moura is the main event’s defending champion. His win in 2019 was worth R$ 1,244,790 (about US $293,333).
PokerStars also announced a full slate of satellites and freerolls, which will feed into BSOP Millions events. Those tourneys begin today and run all the way to November. One of the highlights is a special “Mega Satellite” that will see at least 15 full main-event packages awarded. That Mega Satellite runs on November 2, with sub-satellites beginning today and running through November 1.
Masks, vaccination pass required
PokerStars and the BSOP MIllions also announced that the series will operate under strict COVID-19 rules and protocols established by the state and city of São Paulo. Brazil – and São Paulo in particular – suffered a severe wave of infection earlier in 2021 that crippled the country’s medical infrastructure. The worst of that wave has passed and vaccinations have increased, yet the tough preventative measures remain in place.
The special pandemic rules in place for the series include the following:
- Every player that participates in the event will be 100% vaccinated before the start of the event.
- All BSOP Millions team members will be tested for COVID-19.
- All event participants – whether part of the conducting team or competitors – must wear face masks in all locations and at all times.
- All competitors must display proof of complete vaccination on their first accession to the event, and will receive an identification bracelet which must be kept until the end of their participation.
- All tables at the event, as well as several other areas such as registration, information desk, etc., will supply 70% alcohol gel for hand hygiene. Competitors and dealers must sanitize their hands whenever sitting down for the first time or returning to a table.
- Food consumption in the tournament area will not be allowed.
The series will accept these as proof of vaccination:
- COVID-19 vaccination card, dated and stamped, in its original copy (copies of any kind will not be accepted), with QR code
- eHealth Application of the City of São Paulo
- Connect SUS application
“The health and safety of staff and players is the number one priority for PokerStars.net and the BSOP,” PokerStars stated, “and strict guidelines have been put in place which adhere to local regulations and guidance. Players and staff will be required to wear masks, hold a vaccination proof passport and ensure they keep a 1-meter distance throughout the venue.” All rules are subject to change, and the latest version will be available online here.
Featured image source: PokerStars/Brazilian Series of Poker Millions